Sunday, January 3, 2010

America's sweetheart

Snowing again. Housebound lately. I still have people to see and presents to give out. They will wait. For now they are under the tree. I always leave mine up longer than most people. I hate taking the tree down. I miss it. I love to turn it on late at night when I am all alone in the dark and just look at the lights. It has always been my favorite part of Christmas. Every ornament like an old friend you haven't seen for a while. Each one having their own story to tell.
Some presents will still be here even after the tree is down. Until then, I will continue to watch movies on my new Blu Ray player. Curled up in a ball waiting for the snow to melt and Brothers and Sisters, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Big Bang Theory and Modern Family to return with new episodes.
Last night I rented All About Steve with Sandra Bullock. I always seem to enjoy her movies. I got to thinking why does Julia Roberts have the title of Americas sweetheart? I can't even remember the last time I watched one of her movies. Did she have her day in the sun. absolutely! But it is time for her to hand over her title. All About Steve was funny. Sandra brings something that other actors can't. Hometown quality. The girl next door. Not gorgeous but pretty. Naturally pretty. She illuminates an inner warmth that comes across on the screen. You can identify with her. She is not unapproachable. She has a quirkiness that interests you just enough to not be annoying. I loved this movie. It is a character unlike any other she has played. A catholic Jewish girl named Mary Magdeline Horowitz. A super smart workaholic gullible nerd who talks way too much. She is filled with quirks. She creates crossword puzzles for a newspaper. She plays this character with heart and she will touch yours. Think back to some of her previous movies. Imfamous, Hope Floats, Crash, Miss Congeniality, The Proposal, 2 Week Notice, Yaya Sisterhood and While You Were Sleeping. Has she ever let you down? I say when in doubt as to what to rent, go through Sandra Bullocks catalog or get out of the house and go see Blind Side. I hear it's great. Oscar whispers. Congratulations Sandra. You deserve it. I will be rooting for you from the couch. You are my American Sweetheart.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget The Lake House with Keanu Reeves. I just loved that movie.

    ReplyDelete