Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Simple Pleasures

I have not written lately. I told my sister in law Patty I have "bloggers block" She made some suggestions. Topics, interests, TV, books, things that have happened through out the day, lists, etc.


I am sluggish. This is the time of year that I really hate. christmas is over. Winter is long. Still dark early. It depresses me. I believe I suffer from seasonal effects disorder. I got to thinking, maybe I should think about things I enjoy. Simple pleasures in every day life. Things we take for granted. Moments. Patty's right. I can certainly make a list. I hope you will all add some of your simple pleasures to the list. There are so many things to be grateful for. These are just a few things that bring joy to me and my life in no particular order.


Sleeping late on days off


snow days


family gatherings
old family photos and reminiscing
fall
burning leaves
apple cider
pumpkins
holly and mistletoe
the smell of celery and onions mixed with sage, cooking in anticipation of meeting the bread for stuffing


christmas tree lights still on late at night


candles burning


A hot bath in my clawfoot tub


a good hair day


an amish quilt


The Shady Maple


Lancaster


a fire in the fireplace


going out to dinner


a text from my 19 year old son saying I love you.


a singing phone message from cousin Gerry


Barry Manilow CD


a good book


my Nook


a new Longaberger basket


a long lost friend on FB


a new pair of slippers or pajamas


the smell of the crock pot cooking


when my husband puts gas in my car


clean sheet night


a good bottle of wine


when people post on my blog


bingo night


the snack shack


cooking with my brother


an unexpected phone call from my brother


having the same friends for more that 20 years
Home Video Memories
friends who are "family"
Homespun friends
perfume


getting a pedicure


getting a backrub


a new haircut


a cup of coffee or tea with my neighbor that I do not get to see too often.


Kevin and Marie teaching me a new way to cook sweet potatoes. DELISH


Seeing my son wear the shoes I bought him.


seeing my son wear the clothes I bought him


Having my dad sleep over after all these years.


carol's laughter.


forgiveness


godchildren


decent relationships with ex's


relationships with family and extended families of ex's
ex sister and brother in laws still calling me their sister in law


heinous husband awards


a friend unexpectedly visiting my job


sharing recipes


a kick in the pants

"goodest goodest" friends

Dove chocolate

my electronic starter

realizing I did bring my glasses to the movie theatre.

turning the clocks ahead.

70's music

oldies

McDreamy and McSteamy

Sonny, Jason, Patrick, Jax and Dante
home grown tomatoes

Rocky Mountain High and Country Roads

Sunshine on My Shoulders

Grease

The Electric slide

Broadway

East end

farm stands

herb gardens

Shelter Island Ferry

not having to wait on line at Maureen's Kitchen

old friends from SCS & SGT

Long Island beaches

Bayport

chocolate chip cookies

spritzer cookies from A Rise Above

A New York Wedding (looking forward to one 3/6 )

words of wisdom

Bettyism's

sharing grief with a friend in the same emotional place

puffs tissues

Walmart

my sauce

fresh mozzarella

a cold diet Dr. Pepper in the frig

Ruby in a good mood at work

babies

old love letters

my tart burner

old christmas ornaments

Olde Mill Shoppes

whoopie pies

ticking

horse and buggy
candles in the window
Lenox
Christines jellies and Krumkaka

Starbucks vanilla Latte's

Kitchen Kettle

the smell of fresh pine

warm pumpernickel bagels on Sunday morning

summer picnics

friday flowers

sit down Chinese restaurant

my bed

my electric blanket

heirlooms handed down
Walt Disney Movies
puppies
wildlife
wild flowers
bulbs becoming flowers
bejeweled blitz
summer barbecues
homemade potato salad
Uggs
homemade gifts
handwritten letters
knowing I will see my mother again
food on the table
the comfort of home
a roof over our heads
salvation
freedom
I have many many things that bring me joy and that I am grateful for. I could go on for days. Did you notice that many of my simple pleasures have to do with food? Well noone likes to eat alone. They all are circled around my family and friends whom without I would not find as much pleasure.
It is enough. I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list, so much to be thankful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! My list too would include lots of food items, especially chocolate. Take some of those and develop stories. Go through the who, what, where, when, why and how. Tell us more. Now you'll be unstoppable or should I say unblocked!!! Love ya, Pat (:D

    ReplyDelete